at the chapel of
Built in its parish enclosure, protected in its placître by its surrounding wall and its triumphal door, opening onto its Calvary and its cemetery,
(Extract from the Napoleonic cadastre 1837, PRIMELIN, section C3 Saint TUGEN)
A remarkable architecture
combined with the statuary art of the parish enclosures
the current building was rebuilt from 1530, rich period in the history of Brittany and France,
on the site of the old chapel mentioned from 1118.
the chapel, a former trevial church, has been listed as a historical monument since 1909
To the west, a thick buttress supports the square tower, massive and majestic, such as those of Locronan and Saint Herbot,
it rises to 28.50 m.
An arrow crowns the turret of the staircase which gives access to the gallery above the portal framed by the 4 evangelists.
Facing the triumphal door,
the south facade
is richly decorated with a porch of elegant proportions enlivened by the statues of the Grand Master of Plougastel (1570-1621).
Since the 16th century
Saint Tugen, crossed, mitered, carrying his key, is in the spotlight, welcoming the faithful and pilgrims who have come to seek his protection against all rages.
The Holy Abbot dominates six of the twelve apostles recognizable by their attributes (from West to East): Saint Bartholomew (cleaver), Saint Philip (broken arm), Saint Matthias (halberd), Saint Matthew (balance), Saint John (beardless, with its chalice). Saint Jude was removed in a classical style niche on the wall of the enlarged sacristy in 1720.
between the two windows,
above the name of the factory that had it built,
the thief who was at the origin of this construction tries in vain to get out of the wall.
The interior of the SOUTH porch, passage to Christianity. Granite and Kersanton stone…
The wide basket-handle opening with a perforated tympanum allows passage to the low gate (1.60 m) of the interior door (1663); above it Christ in Majesty surrounded by his mother, the Virgin Mary, his grandmother, Saint Anne, presides over the entry of the baptized into the sacred space.
Beneath their canopy of granite lace stand the imposing kersanton sculptures of six other apostles
to the west
Saint James the Minor and his fuller beater,
Saint Simon with his saw,
and Saint Thomas with his square.
to the East,
Saint Peter and his key,
Saint Andrew and his cross,
Saint James the Greater and its shell
These works by the Grand Master of Plougastel contrast by their material, their hue, their size, with the consoles that support them:
monstrous figures, dragons, animals, representing « the world of darkness » conquered by the Apostles, messengers of Christ.
The ribbed vault retains some traces of its polychrome decoration, while the monograms of Christ and the Virgin have disappeared.
The Calvary was rebuilt at the current location from elements of the old Calvary including: the base, a pretty pieta and two twin statues. Marie-Madeleine kept her head, while that of Saint John was attributed to the bust of Saint Peter.
Two other statues of primitive workmanship balance the whole
The chapel is open
from June 1 to September 30
from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Outside these times, guided tours are available all year round by appointment.
per group of at least 5 people